Saturday, June 12, 2010

Day #1 - June 14, 2010

San Francisco, CA to Carson City, NV
278 Miles










































































WOW! What a send-off. I was expecting to have breakfast with David and Stanley before I left on my trip today and, sure enough, it started that way. Then we arrived at the Beach Chalet and many more of my friends were there as a surprise. They brought wonderful gifts and Patti dressed in 1913 clothing and Doug played the ukelele and sang a fun song about my trip and then David, Bill and Fred sang a fun arrangement of Lincoln Highway Blogger to the tune of Good Bye My Coney Island Baby. And we all had a wonderful breakfast overlooking the Pacific Ocean.


Then we went as a group to Lincoln Park where the official Western Terminus of the Lincoln Highway is located and we had Champagne and orange juice and took photos. I can't thank you all enough. It was a total surprise and a wonderful way to start the trip. Thank you, thank you, thank you.


And all of this happened before I even began my trip. I left San Francisco about 11:00 a.m. and took the Southern route of the Lincoln Highway through California. Since I have driven this route several times in the last few years, I decided to make just a couple of stops along the way, in Placerville and South Lake Tahoe. I arrived in Carson City about 6:30 p.m. and checked into my hotel, the Plaza Hotel, 801 S. Carson Street, about 4 blocks from the Nevada State Capital.


This evening I had a wonderful time at the Firkin & Fox, a saloon directly across from the State Capital. It looks like a building out of a Western movie, but it also has the feel of a sports bar with big screen TVs showing soccer matches and baseball games continually. I had a draft beer and fish and chips for dinner and listened to a bunch of old geezers in cowboy hats and boots singing country karaoke!!! Next to the great send-off I got this morning, it was definitely the best part of the day. I didn't want to leave.

Back at the hotel now , it's about 9:30 p.m. Fun, fun day!















As you can see from the map, the Lincoln Highway has two routes in California, SF to Reno being the original 1913 route and SF to Carson City being a later alternative. Both were considered equal as the Lincoln Highway route. I took the southern route going east and I'll take the northern route on my return.


A state-by-state map of the Lincoln Highway is available at:
http://lincolnhighway.jameslin.name/by_state

1 comment:

  1. You're welcome, welcome, welcome! It was fun to be part of the send-off. Enjoyed your first write-up. But remember: if you have fish and chips and beer for dinner every night, and apple pie every day, you're going to need a van for the return drive.

    ReplyDelete