Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Day #10 - June 23, 2010

Scottsbluff, NE to Kearney, NE
320 Miles

This sign was in my hotel room in Scottsbluff, NE. I'm used to earthquakes but not tornados.


I left Scottsbluff about 9:00 and drove south on Route 71 to reconnect with the Lincoln Highway in Kimball, NE. I took with me the continental breakfast that the hotel provided and then stopped at Gotte Park to eat the yogurt and bagel.

Gotte Park in Kimball, NE



From Kimball, I headed east on Route 30. Below is a typical stretch of the Lincoln Highway (Route 30) in Nebraska - it parallels the Union Pacific Railroad tracks.


Along the way I stopped briefly in the small towns.
Dude's Steak House and Brandin' Iron Bar in Sidney, NE


Lincoln Highway sign in Chappell, NE


Boot Hill Cemetery, Ogallala, NE


Grave markers at Boot Hill Cemetery



The Trail Boss Statue at Boot Hill Cemetery pays tribute to the men who came up the Texas Trail and helped establish the beef cattle industry in the plains.

Old Texaco gas station in Brady, NE


I visited the Buffalo Bill Ranch State Historical Park in North Platte, NE
Buffalo Bill's Ranch - Scout's Rest - became a state historical park in 1965.
He built this house in 1886, at the height of his Wild West Show career. Photos were not allowed inside the house, but it is nicely restored and furnished and has a wonderful exhibit of photos. The public is permitted to walk through the house.


This is a poster of Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show which is displayed in the stable along with other memorabilia.

He also raised cattle and horses and bought thoroughbred horses and high-grade Herefords.




This is the Pony Express Relay Station in Gothenburg, NE. There are only a few relay stations still remaining. The riders changed horses at these stations.


This photo is for Bob who wants to make sure I am actually on this trip and not just writing the blog from San Francisco.


More Lincoln Highway signs. I just can't help photographing them.


For dinner tonight I had a Nebraska specialty. It's called a Runza and that is the name of the restaurant and the famous sandwich. According to the restaurant, the sandwich consists of dough made from scratch everyday and formed into a pocket, then stuffed full of ground beef, onions, cabbage and secret spices, and then baked fresh and served hot. Wow! I think I really must have another one sometime before I leave Nebraska.



That's all for now. I want to read some more of "On The Road" by Jack Kerouac - it's inspiring.

1 comment:

  1. I was also excited to finally see a photo of you - now I know for sure I will get to see my older, older brother. The Runza sandwich sounds interesting - I have never heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete