Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Day #17 - June 30, 2010

Columbus, OH

I stayed in Columbus today to visit with my family.

Around noon Marie, Linda and I visited German Village. We took a short detour to see where our father once owned a small grocery store in this area in the late 1940's. While the area is somewhat depressed today, the store building and the adjacent upstairs apartment are still standing and occupied.

Then we had lunch at a wonderful restaurant called the Thurman Cafe. The restaurant is quite popular and there is usually a wait of up to an hour or more, but we sat at the counter and were served fairly quickly. The decor is fun - with lots of old posters, photographs, and signed dollar bills on the walls and ceilings. Their specialty is called a Thurmanator, a monster hamburger with all the trimmings. We decided to get a more modest meal. The food was good and we had a chance to catch up on all the news in our lives.








Marv and Diane hosted a get-together at their home this evening and it was great to see all of my nieces and nephews and their children. One new great-nephew I saw for the first time.

We talked and ate for several hours and caught up on what has been happening in our lives.

Here are a few photos from the event. Unfortunately, many of the pictures I took today were blurred. I think it was the fault of the camera and not from all the beer I drank. Anyway, here are a couple of the better photos.

Cute!!
My new great-nephew, Knox


Tomorrow I head north to rejoin the Lincoln Highway in Upper Sandusky, OH.

No comments:

Post a Comment