Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Day #16 - June 29,. 2010

Fort Wayne, IN to Columbus, OH
210 Miles

I spent part of the morning in Fort Wayne.
The Rivergreenway is a series of parks along the St. Joseph, Maumee, and St. Marys Rivers which converge in downtown Fort Wayne.

I visited Johnny Appleseed Park along the St. Joseph River. The park is so named because Johnny Appleseed (John Chapman) is buried there.




Notice the apple at the top of the headstone.


Then I went to Cindy's Diner in downtown Fort Wayne for a late breakfast. There are only 15 stools at the counter and it is very popular with the locals. While I was there 3 people came in and ordered "the usual" and each one was different, but the waitress remembered their preferences from previous visits. Talk was non-stop among the customers. And the food was very good.


I left Fort Wayne about 10:30 a.m. and after a short drive entered Ohio.

VAN WERT, OH
My first stop was Van Wert, OH and I was pleasantly surprised.

Van Wert County Courthouse (Built 1874 - 1876). It is the most impressive building in the city. Thanks Paul, for identifying it.


I stopped at The Main Street Ice Cream Parlor and had a scoop of strawberry ice cream. Several families were there enjoying the ice cream on a hot day.


This is the library. It was built in 1901 and was the "First County Library in the United States," according to the marker.

This Lincoln Highway sign is in the park directly across from the library.


DELPHOS, OH



The main street of Delphos has some interesting architecture built from about 1890 to 1910 with the dates prominently displayed on the buildings. Early Lincoln Highway travelers would have seen these same buildings.




I drove on the Lincoln Highway to Upper Sandusky, OH and then decided to take a side trip down to Columbus to visit my family. On Thursday, I'll rejoin the Lincoln Highway and continue on.
I arrived in Columbus about 4:00 p.m. and checked into my hotel.
My sister, Linda, invited some family members to her home and we all met there for dinner and shared stories of our various travels. Andrew had just returned from 4 weeks in Africa. It was great fun.

Here I am with sisters Linda and Marie.

Here is Kelsey, Linda, Marie & Andrew.


I'm staying in Columbus another day to visit with more of the family tomorrow. Then on the road again.

No comments:

Post a Comment