Saturday, July 3, 2010

Day #20 - July 3, 2010

York, PA to Camden, NJ
129 Miles

I left York this morning about 8:30 a.m. and drove east on Route 30. Within a few miles I saw Amish buggies on the road. I understand the Amish do not like to be photographed, so I did not take any pictures. At one point on Route 30 I saw an Amish horse and buggy in the right lane and a semi truck traveling in the lane next - an odd sight and it was scary to watch. My first stop was Lancaster.

LANCASTER, PA

A couple of interesting buildings in the downtown area.


Fulton Opera House



Central Market - This farmer's market was very busy on a Saturday morning.




Franklin & Marshall College (Liberal Arts).


GAP, PA

I stopped at this Gap Diner for breakfast.


I had apple pancakes with whipped cream, scrapple, and coffee. The pancakes were absolutely delicious. Scrapple is an ethnic food of the Pennsylvania Dutch. It is "mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and flour, often buckwheat flour, and spices. The mush is formed into a semi-solid congealed loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then panfried before serving." I am glad I tasted it once; I won't be ordering it again.

VALLEY FORGE, PA


Knox's Quarters


George Washington's Home at Valley Forge



Elite Security Force

Cabins where the Elite Security Forces slept.


Inside view of one of the cabins. Notice the bunk beds and fireplace.


Valley Forge Train Station - Restoration is underway.


Here are yet more photos of Lincoln Highway signs and figures in Pennsylvania.





I drove through Philadelphia this afternoon and checked into my hotel in Camden, NJ, just across the river from downtown Philadelphia. I will explore Philadelphia tomorrow on July 4th.

No comments:

Post a Comment