Sunday, July 4, 2010

Day #21 - July 4, 2010

Philadelphia, PA to Jersey City, NJ
120 Miles

I got up early and drove to downtown Philadelphia to get there before the crowds arrived on this 4th of July.

At 8:30 a.m. it was quiet but preparations were being made for the day's events. This is the area about 9:00 a.m.


This is the same area about 2 hours later.


After checking out the Visitor's Center and viewing the exhibits, I visited the Liberty Bell Center.


Only a few people were there and I was able to view the Liberty Bell up close.




Next I visited Independence Hall. Lines had already formed, but they let 85 people in every 15 minutes, so the wait was only about one-half hour. We had an excellent guide who gave a wonderful history of events in the 15-minute tour.


These photos are inside the Congress Hall building. Here another guide gave us a 20-minute tour and we had only 25 people in our group.

These photos are taken on the first floor where the House of Representatives met.


House of Representatives

House of Represenatatives


Upstairs where the Congress met.


The parade was starting to form about 10:30 a.m. and I took a few photos. I left this area before the parade actually started. There was lots of music - I don't recall ever hearing so many John Philip Sousa marches in such a short time.






Library of the American Philosophical Society (APS)



As the crowds assembled for the parade, I left the area and went to Christ Church Burial Ground where Benjamin Franklin is buried.


This is his actual grave site - people place coins on the grave stone.

Statue across the street from the cemetery.


The Betsy Ross home is just a few blocks down Arch Street from the cemetery.

No photos were allowed in the home. The self-guided audio tour was quite informative.


Also on Arch Street is the Free Quaker Meeting House. There was a Sunday Service, so tours were cancelled. But the docent at the front desk gave me a short tour of an older part of the meeting house that is used today only for special occasions.



I decided to leave the crowds in downtown and drive to Pat's King of Steaks "Originators of the steak sandwich" - the Philly Cheesesteak. The place was packed with people.

Here it is - the standard Philly Cheesesteak - with cheese whiz!! It is wonderful!

Photo from the other side of Pat's Steaks.


Philadelphia City Hall

I left Philadelphia and drove north on Highway 1, the Lincoln Highway, and checked into a hotel in Jersey City, NJ. I plan to make the final ascent into New York tomorrow to complete my Lincoln Highway journey, coast-to-coast. I'm a little nervous about driving in Manhatten, but Times Square is now very close.

1 comment:

  1. A really unique way to spend the 4th of July - seeing the places where our country began. I'm glad the sandwich tasted better than it looks. How many calories?

    ReplyDelete