Thursday, July 8, 2010

Day #25 - July 8, 2010

South Bend, IN to Milwaukee, WI
205 Miles

I got up early and did a short walking tour of Notre Dame University. The campus is quite beautiful. The architecture is of light brick and stone with nicely landscaped garden areas between the buildings. It was too early to obtain a map of the campus from the Visitor's Center, so I was not able to identify specific buildings. However, here are some photos of the buildings that attracted me.



This is the Basilica of the Sacred Heart - the main church on this Catholic campus.

I could not identify the remainder of the buildidngs.






It began to rain during my walk and I was not able to find the football stadium - perhaps next time.
I left South Bend about 8:00 a.m. and drove to Milwaukee, WI. This is about a 3-4 hour drive and thanks to my wonderful Garmin GPS system, I was able to navigate the maze of Chicago freeways with little difficulty. Without the GPS system I would still be driving in circles in Chicago.
MILWAUKEE, WI
I arrived in Milwaukee about 12:00 noon, about an hour before the baseball game, so I parked in the lot, got my ticket, and watched the Giants batting practice. I particularly wanted to get to Milwaukee today because it is the last day of the Brewers' series with the Giants.
This is the entrance from the main parking area.
Miller Park



The ballpark is unique with this arched area overlooking the 3rd base line.

This is the outfield scoreboard.

This was taken from my seat in the Loge Outfield box.

Barry Zito started for the Giants and pitched into the 5th inning. The Giants were leading 6-0 at that point and they then used 5 relief pitchers plus their closer, Brian Wilson, to win the game 9-3. The Giants hit 3 home runs (maybe 4), all of them over the right field fence, so I had a great view. I had a bratwurst and beer (Miller, of course), I loved where I was sitting, the hot weather eased during the game and there was actually a breeze, and the Giants won. Life is good.
I am staying in Milwaukee this evening and trying to decide which route I will take home to San Francisco. At this point I think I will be doing more driving than sightseeing.

1 comment:

  1. I will be in South Bend for a walk in a month or so and take a picture of Touchdown Jesus for you. Great baseball stadium - I loved your view for the Giants game.

    ReplyDelete