Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Day #23 - July 6, 2010

Niagra Falls, NY to Toronto, ON to Hamburg, NY
189 Miles

I got up early today and walked from my hotel room to the falls, about a 20-minute walk.

NIAGRA FALLS - AMERICAN SIDE

The Niagra Falls State Park leading to the falls is beautiful and nicely maintained.






It is a short walk west to the Horseshoe Falls.








NIAGRA FALLS - CANADIAN SIDE

I drove across the Rainbow Bridge and parked on the Canadian side. The area is much more developed and the falls are more spectacular there.



The light seemed to be excellent for picture taking, so I took a lot of photos. These are some of my favorites.





These formal gardens are across the street from the viewing area.

This shot was taken from the area shown in the previous photo.


There are boat rides available to see the falls up close, but I elected to drive farther into Canada.

TORONTO, ON

The trip to Toronto took about 1-1/2 hours because of heavy traffic. Canada is on the metric system and so all of the mileage and speed limit signs were in kilometers. Luckily, my Honda shows km in smaller red numbers next to the miles, so when the speed limit was 100 km. I was able to stay within the limit.

I stayed in Toronto for about 3 hours only. I had planned to stay longer, but the weather was quite hot and humid and the traffic was difficult to deal with. Also my GPS system and my cell phone did not work in Canada, so I felt a need to return to the USA. I would like to visit there again in the future to get a better feel for the city.

However, I did visit the Hockey Hall of Fame. It was one of the few places I wanted to visit that was indoors and air conditioned.





Each team has a special exhibit such as this one. I elected to photograph the Columbus Blue Jackets, even though I have never seen them play. I still hope to see them when they visit the Sharks sometime in the future.


Just like baseball cards, there are hockey trading cards.


And the best broadcasters have their area too.

There is a special section with old hockey memorabilia.

This is the interactive area where kids and grown-ups get a chance to test their skills against a computer-generated goalie.


And then there is the Stanley Cup. There is a special room just for displaying it.


I enjoyed the exhibit, even though I'm not a hockey fan. I may go to a few Sharks games when I get home.

Once back at Niagra Falls, I stopped at The Three Sisters Restaurant and had some apple pie.

Here is the description:
Caramel and toffee-studded custard surrounding Granny Smith apples on a shortbread crust. It sounds exceedingly sweet but it wasn't. Rich? yes. Very good? yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment