Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Day #30 - July 13, 2010

Pocatello, ID to Reno, NV
600 Miles


I left my hotel in Pocatello about 7:30 a.m. today and drove to the Jiffy Lube in town to get a final oil change and check-up.

I left Pocatello about 8:15 a.m. and drove on Route 86 to Twin Falls and then south on Route 93.

This area of Idaho resembles the desert in Nevada. However, the northern part of Idaho near the Montana and Wyoming borders is much more like the area around Yellowstone.

Here are a few photos taken in Southern Idaho.




I continued on Route 93 into Nevada and stopped at Bella's Restaurant in Wells, NV. Believe it or not, this was the highlight of my day. I ordered the chili special with onions and melted cheese on top and a lemonade. Bella specializes in pies. The apple pie had a flaky crust and not-too-sweet apple filling. It was served hot with whipped cream!

I connected with Route 80 in Wells and drove west. The desert of Nevada looks very much the same for hundreds of miles. There are a few mountain ranges to cross, but otherwise there is not much to stop and see.
This mountain range, however, was quite spectacular.


Here is the welcome sign on the approach to Battle Mountain, NV.


This photo is typical of the Nevada desert area as seen from Route 80.


I drove 600 miles today through a hot, dry desert, so it was nice to finally arrive in Reno, NV where I spent the night.
Here is the famous sign.


I had dinner at Harrah's and gave them $20 in the slot machines before retiring to my hotel. It was a long day.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Larry - I was following you while on tour with SFBACC but wasn't able to comment for some reason. (Blogger told me why in Turkish, but I couldn't read it ...) Thanks for all the great stories and pics.

    ReplyDelete